So, the week continued. There was no stopping it. Tuesday got a tad better on the sickness front, but we had one of those long boring days stuck inside because I was too terrified to attempt any kind of an outing after the whole WalMart fiasco. It's so fun feeling awful and trying to entertain a very active 2 and a half year old boy. Inside. All day long. By Wednesday, both Grayson and I were climbing the walls. (Remember, this is the kid who asks me every morning as soon as I flip on the light, "What we doin today Mama?") We needed to get out, so I decided I would brave going out in public again. We could stretch our legs and get some fresh air at a new park we had been wanting to try. Out we went.
We didn't get past the garage.
When I tried to start our car, the engine was completely dead. I figured it was the car battery, so I tried calling David but he was in a meeting and couldn't answer. A quick call to Pappy confirmed it. Again, Grayson was distraught. He kept grabbing my hand and trying to drag me inside the house saying, "Mama, in here. Battwees in dis dwawer!" I had to applaud his rationale. He had heard me say the battery was dead in the car, so why wouldn't we use the batteries in our junk drawer that we always use to fix his broken toys? It made perfect sense. If only it was that easy.
It was at this point that I had to make a decision. I could either stay at home again all day and wait for David to fix my car when he got home from work, or try to fix it myself with a toddler in tow. Looking back, I was a bit crazy in the head. I had jumper cables in my trunk so Grayson and I walked next door to ask our little sweet neighbor, Mary, if we could borrow her car in order to jump mine. She is the best neighbor and even though she is a widow and probably in her 70's, she has a busier social life than David and I could ever dream of. She cracks us up. Anyway, she was looking good this Wednesday morning with her red lipstick and all, and she told me she was on her way out with her friends who were about to pick her up. Insert grin here. However, she didn't hesitate and immediately handed over her car keys and was completely trusting that I would safely return her car. I love having great neighbors. I'm pretty sure I heard some good-natured giggles and laughter from her car of old lady friends as they were pulling out, and Grayson and I were pulling HER car into OUR garage :)
My dad walked me through how to jump the car, and I was overly cautious so as not to kill myself somehow, or let Grayson "work" on the engine like he was trying to do during this whole process. I got it jumped on the first try, ran inside, grabbed my purse and a sippy cup, googled an auto place by our house, and off we went. I remembered that David's mom was home from work that day so I called her to ask if she would stay by her phone just in case we got stranded on the side of the road. (Thank you Jen for being my safety net!) We made it to the auto place and sat on the blazing hot curb while the guy replaced the battery for us. The eye-level candy inside the air conditioned store was too much for Grayson to handle. However...we were successful in our car adventure!!! It was lunch time by this point and determined to make the day fun somehow, I called a friend and we still got to meet her and her little boy at Chick-Fil-A.
Whew. We made it another day.
Monday, August 17, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment